the journey of a purple phoenix

Saturday, March 19, 2005

And Humpty Dumpty Had A GREAT Fall...

Last Thursday was full of pressure and depressing conversations with clients. With so many things in my mind and so many things to do and lack of rest, I felt really drained at the end of the day. As I walked alone along Ayala Avenue, I was thinking if I should buy a new pair of sandals because the pair I was wearing was killing me. The heels were a bit too high and it wasn't the kind of shoes that is comfortable to wear when going around in meetings. I had worn that pair that day because I only had 1 meeting for that day and the rest of the work is supposed to be done in the office already. But still, it didn't give me any comfort for I was walking all around the office to get things done. Then, I thought about the trouble walking around the mall to look for shoes and just thinking about it makes it more tiring. I decided to just go home to rest and go shopping over the week end. Taking a rest has never been more important to me these days because I have been doing a lot of things lately and it's really important that I reserve energy for work. As I stepped my way down the stairs of the Ayala underpass, my tired feet gave away and my world suddenly turned around. All of a sudden, all I saw was steps.. railing..ceiling..steps..railing..ceiling... My bags were flying around when I rolled down the stairs. I heard the people of Makati shout after me, " AYY!!! YUNG, ALEH!!!!!" AAAAAAGHHH!!! THE BIG PIG!!!! I felt my right arm and my back hit the ground pretty hard. For a moment there, I was scared that I might be bleeding somewhere or that I have a broken bone. All I can manage to say was, "Ohhh...grreeaat...!" I thought to myself, "Well...I think that answered my question...It's time to buy a new pair of sandals!" A kind stranger came up to me and helped me to stand up. As he held my arm to support me, I could feel his hand shake as he tried his best to raise me up to my feet. Oh,boy...that says something about my weight now... Another thought came to me, "Great...I need to lose weight again or else the next time something stupid like this happens, nobody might be willing to carry me!" There were a few people who were kind enough to check if I was ok. I think the others who shouted after me (while I was helplessly rolling like an egg down the stairs) just saw something unusual for the first time in their life and didn't really care. Oh, well... There was a man and two cleaning aids who came to me and looked at me closely if I was ok. "Ok lang po ba kayo? May nabalian ba?" Are you ok? Is something broken? they repeatedly asked me. I instantly grabbed my bag and suddenly remembered that I was wearing a white blouse! The first thing I asked them was, "Madumi ba yung likod ng blouse ko?" I thanked the three strangers and throttled my way to the mall as if nothing happened.

A friend of mine got to text me that night to check if I was home already. I told him that I was just on my way home because I had to pass by the mall first to buy a new pair of sandals and I had a small accident earlier. He reminded me once again that I needed rest so I wouldn't be stressed out too much.

Looking back to the incident, I can't help but laugh at myself. When I came home, I told the story to my older brother and we just laughed like crazy lunatics about it. Then when I was about to take a bath, I looked at my legs... Hmmm..something's not right... my right leg was swollen! My older brother warned me not to take a bath for it might be a fracture. I was like, "Helloo! If I had a fracture then I wouldn't be able to WALK, right?" I took a bath anyway since my mom said that it's ok. My friend advised me to put a cold compress on it so it wouldn't swell too much.

The next day, I got to chat with my close friend on YM and told him about the incident. He asked me if I was ok and I told him that I got a few bruises and I'm having a trouble with my hands because I can't seem to grip as hard as before. I think he asked me if I was ok twice. I've been having trouble writing because I couldn't grip the pen well. He asked me if I had visited a doctor lately, and I said no. He (and other people concerned) advised me to go see one. I told him that I kinda find it funny and he just said, "haha, that's no laughing matter" I explained to him that I didn't want to take this too seriously because at least nothing bad happened. No broken bones, no bleeding. Just bruises and traumatized hands (which I hope will get better). It's a good thing I can still type though. Darn it, as much as I want my hands to get well, I don't wanna see a doctor yet. Let's see if a good week end's rest will cure it. :)

1 Comments:

  • First of all, I just wanna say that I am glad you are ok. Taking a fall like that could have ended up much more serious! Thank God you are alright.

    You have been pushing yourself a bit too close to the edge. Actually, you and our other friend are. It's hard to back off when you get in to a groove, however tiring or frustrating. It's a groove no less. But, you really do have to back off a bit for your sake.

    Even I have been going through a very tough time in my life. Work and personal problems are happening simultaneously and I haven't been able to cope very well. As you can see, I am swimming in my clothes, literally!!! (as Jovy would say) My mood hasn't been the best and I have been in a daze for many weeks now. These are all signs of having pushed too hard... or you could call it depression, too! =) I have been taking off early, eating long lunches and indulging in things I like. I do all this to give myself a breather from the hectic life! So far, I've been improving. I can't say I'm there yet, fully recovered, but I am feeling a bit better.

    Anyway, the message I'm trying to drive at is you need to give your self time, too. Do something you like. Put off a meeting or two, extend your lunch hour or go home early a couple of nights in the week. Do what you need to recover. Because if you don't, you won't be able to accomplish much more than just lying down... =(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home