the journey of a purple phoenix

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Dear Ol' Morrie...

Just wanna share one of my favorite lines in the book, "Tuesdays With Morrie".

"People are only mean when they're threatened, and that's what our culture does. That's what our economy does. Even people who have jobs in our economy are threatened, because they worry about losing them. And when you get threatened, you start looking at only for yourself. You start making money a god. It is all part of this culture."

"The culture we have does not make people good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say, if the culture doesn't work, don't buy it."

True...true...

1 Comments:

  • Hmmm... did I miss something at work? =)

    Those lines you quoted really hit home. I have to agree with its statement and it proves that understanding the dynamics of how people react really goes a long way in surviving in the world we live in. If only more people could be as understanding as you...

    In situations that come up that leave an unsavory taste in my mouth, I either remember the line, "Balance, Daniel san, you need to learn balance!" or the more basic but equally effective, "Woosah!" (said while massaging the ear lobes) These lines from popular movies really keep me grounded and I realize that there is always a way to work things out. Of course, a little patience thrown in to the mix really helps, too.

    Hell, if you can't laugh at a situation, you eventually will! =) As I always say, "This will make a great story for my grand children!" =8P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home