the journey of a purple phoenix

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Memoirs of My Childhood

Just another thought when I was hanging out with my balik-bayan friends... Spending time with childhood friends made me realize how much I missed the old days. Life used to be simple and fun. Of course, there are a lot of growing pains that went along with that, but if I were to count the times that were so memorable to me, there are more than the number of tears and wounds I got from playing "patintero" on the street. I can even remember most of the little details of what life was like back then.

When I was little, (wait, let me rephrase that...I haven't grown an inch since 6th grade...) When I was younger, I used to sneak out of the house during siesta time just to play doll or "10-20" (Chinese Garter) with Mara when they used to live in the street (Bogambilya) at the back of our house. If you're wondering why I'm so good at sneaking out, it's really simple. When I see my yaya's mouth foaming with her saliva, that's my que. (hehehehehe...)

We would play with Tina and Gina when they are at Lola Emma's house next door and climb her manggo tree while eating fruit loops or munching on Chikidees and Munchees. Trading different kinds of stationeries (stationaries???) to each other. I think I still have some of them in my memory box. I can still remember the floral scent of the paper. They don't sell those scented papers anymore. But, I remember seeing one in a small grocery store and caught the scent. It just brought me back to those days. Sometimes, I would be at LuAnne and Abbie's house down the street and have noon time sleep overs then play tea in the afternoon at their lawn or swim in their inflatable pool during the summer. There were trips to the park where we would run around at the playground. Then we would all go home when the sky turned orange.

I remember funny moments, and they still make me laugh until today. During one of those days that I used to go to Mara's house, someone made fun out of my dimples. Her older brothers' friends (including my older brother) would also come over to play. One of their friends, Aris, would always pick on me. I really don't know why. Mara and I were playing Pictionary at the living room when he suddenly came out of the boys' room and told me:

"Mabel!", he said.
"Ano? (What?)", I asked irritably. (Coz I know he's just gonna pick on me again...)
"Alam mo ba kung ano ang naalala ko kapag nakikita ko dimples mo? (Do you know what your dimples remind me of?)"
And, I'm like, Oh,brother...what's he up to now???
"Ano? (What?)" I asked bluntly.
"Puwit ko! (My butt!)" he exclaims then laughs like a hayena as he retreats back to the room.

Classic. I don't know if he still remembers that day, but I sure couldn't forget about it. I was so humiliated and embarassed that I didn't smile whenever he's in the area. It took me a while to get over it. Now, Mara and I just laugh about it whenever we remember that moment.

Today, we laugh at them and reminisce about them everytime we have a small gathering. Life has become more complicated because of careers, responsibilities, obligations, and a lot more. When I was able to spend time with Mara and Ian, and seeing Miko after several years, and reminiscing the old times with people I grew up with at the village (Aine, Inggie, Rainier, Mito, Isa, Lady, Jeff, Charles), I realized how much has changed since we started growing up. People and personalities in our lives have come and gone, friendships drift apart and rekindled, renewing of acquaintances to closer friendships, learning and growing together, and a lot more.

Looking back to those early years, I can say that I had a good childhood because God gave me good friends to grow old with. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home