the journey of a purple phoenix

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Continuation...

I was never a great conversationalist with boys. I think it was a trauma I developed when I was younger. I had this huge crush on this mestizo in our village. I was so infatuated! I was crushing on him for three years. Once day, my so-called "friends" that time exposed me to him and his friends. At first, I was hurt and disappointed with my friends, but later on, I realized that it was a blessing in disguise. It was an awakening for the truth about the wrong kind of friends that I hung out with and the truth about "the face". It turns out that pretty boy wasn't pretty on the inside after all. I saw a jerk instead. If it weren't for that day he coached us for soccerbase, I wouldn't have seen his true colors and would be blind until now.

I never considered myself as a guy magnet. With my wide hips and other chubby features, guys would be scared to be caught dead with me. But I was proven wrong when I had my first boyfriend who had the exterior features I tried to avoid ever since "the face". He was handsome. Looked young for his age. He's actually a year older. My friends told me that we look good together because we were both "baby faced". He actually awakened this appreciation in me for how I looked. He said that guys often don't admit that they prefer full bodied women than that of stick thins. Animal instincts is the logic. A male specie would likely be attracted to a female who had wider hips and full breasts because it means that she's would be perfect for child bearing. Same goes to females who are attracted to males who are broad chested that signifies the strength to protect.

But, that thought didn't stick in my philosophy any longer ever since my ex-Romeo disappeared on me. I was played. I had wondered countless times if he ever meant all the sweet things he has said to me back then. To get over this, I went through a major diet. I was a bum and restless. I had to do something while I waited for companies to call me for an interview. I jogged everyday and ate oatmeal religiously every morning for breakfast. I lost 22 lbs. before joining the magazine company that would change my life. Little did I know what was waiting for me behind the murky blue double glass doors of that office.

Anyway... Back to the point I was trying to drive at. I wasn't too keen on talking to just any guy in fear that they might get the wrong impression. Especially when the boys who I am supposed to interact with are mostly from well to do families. We call them the "conyo boys". Just the word "conyo" sent warning signals to my social radar. The word "conyo" was mysteriously popularized by "the face" a long time ago, to mean "handsome mestizo". The fact that I didn't agree with him when I was asked by some of his friends. That was the first time I got so turned off by his ignorance and arrogance, considering that he also had Spanish blood and that it was more obvious in his features than in mine. I've heard of that word a hundred times from my father whenever I would hear him curse when I was a child. "Conyo", for everyone's information, means "vagina".

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. hehe...

Anyway, the word "conyo" was ever since connected to my memory of "the face". I had to put my guard up so as not to appear naive to these guys. One December night changed that. I was having trouble with the Christmas gifts that I have to move out of the office. The only ones left in the office were a few lay out artists buried with a lot of work, and one "conyo" boy idly searching through google. He didn't seem that busy. He's only a couple of months new to the company and he seems snobbish with his composed and expressionless mestizo face. At that point I didn't care anymore since I know my mom will be furious with me for being slow to come down from the office. I cringed at the thought of my mom sneering at me. I got up all the courage and walked up to him. I cleared my throat so I wouldn't squeak. I simply asked him if he was busy. He looked at me with a puzzled look that creased some boredome. "I have a huge favor to ask you." Ok. So that was an over statement. "Can you help me carry my stuff down stairs?" I forced a mega watt sweet smile, hoping it would work. I've seen Nana do that to them and it worked. I hope it would also work with me. He simply said, "Ok." and automatically stood up. I can't believe it! It worked! And ever since that, he's been one of my good friends in the office. He's my human left-over food dispenser. Every time I couldn't finish what I ate, he would readily help me finish everything. :P

*************************
to be continued...again...





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home