the journey of a purple phoenix

Sunday, July 24, 2005

A Dream of a Sunset Orange Corvette

So many things happened over the past week. There were things that I have discovered and brought me to some realizations. There were matters that confused me and I did a lot of thinking. I was left to my thoughts again. To those who know me too well, yes, napapatulala nanaman po ako. I find myself staring into space again. I analyzed everything carefully to try to understand the scenarios that are happening around me. I re-evaluated some things that happened. A friend's voice echoed at the back of my mind, "You think and worry too much...relax a bit..."

But, eventhough last week was full of events, the last two days were great. I think it's one of God's way of giving me a breather. Last Thursday, I went to Batangas Racing Circuit with my bosses for a small track day. My immediate boss and I were asked to come along to entertain our contact person from General Motors who brought the latest Corvette C6. Other amazing cars were also brought in by their owners; the Porsche 911 and the BMW M5 (the only one in the country). They were all great cars but only one has the strongest presence among the three, the sunset orange Corvette. The first time I saw that car last June 30 at the EVO Essentials Night, I was in awe. I thought, "How I wish I could a ride in that beautiful car!" A few weeks later, I found myself enjoying a speedy ride around the race track. Just the thrill of being in it as it speeds through gives me butterflies in my tummy. I had a big smile on my face as Sir Kookie dropped me off at the pit to pick up Ms. Mayette to give her a spin on the track. With all the amazement and excitement in that day, I felt exhausted. I came home late that night and only had a few hours of sleep. I had to get up early the next day because I have to attend an event early that morning.

Still a bit groggy from yesterday, I dragged myself out of the house to the waiting shed outside our village. I prayed silently that I could get a ride soon because I was a bit behind schedule. Just the thought of getting in line and waiting for the next shuttle to come along worries me. As if God answered my prayers, a white car stopped in front of me. As the window was winded down, a familiar face smiled up at me. It feels great to see an old friend. Ed, a dear friend of mine was really good enough to give me a lift all the way to the office eventhough his office is far away as Libis. (Thank you,lo!!!) It was also great because we haven't seen each other for a long time. Eversince we both started working, it's hard to find time to do our usual tennis or badminton games.

I went to the first event in Ortigas which was an inaugural of a building. It was a funny experience. Jose Mari and I don't even know who invited us and we didn't know anyone. We arrived just as the mass was about to end. We stood near the reception area because the lobby of the building was packed with people --- old people. After the blessing, the owners made their way outside the entrance. After a few minutes, they came back with pots and I didn't want to know what they're about to do. Next thing I know, they were throwing coins at us. Poor Jose Mari... Clueless of what was happening, looked at me with horror as he ducks everytime coins were being thrown at his direction like he was a school boy being bullied with stone throwing.

After that event, we went straight to another event at the NBC Tent at the Fort. By this time, we were already exhausted. I forced every ounce of energy I still have in me to chat with some people. By the time we sat down, I just fell silent. Didn't want to utter another word or else I'll faint. All I wanted that time was to have a nice break. I wasn't thinking about the stress I've been having, I was thinking how it would be nice to go out and just have fun. Nana kept asking me if I was ok, I think it was so obvious that I looked wasted. This is the first time that I felt exhausted going to events.

When we went back to the office, I tried my best to gather up energy to do some work. I successfully cleaned up my side of the office and did some calls. Afterwhich, I had to sit down and relax for a little while. There was an announcement that Monday's a non-working day because of GMA's scheduled State of the Nation Address. I sent an IM to some friends who were on-line on YM saying, "Yehey! Walang pasok sa Monday!" Which roughly translates to, "Yahoo! It's a non-working day on Monday!" Poor Ed replies to me and said he still has work on Monday. Since it's Friday and we both needed a break, we decided to go out that night to hang out and watch a movie. At last! A chance to go out to relax and enjoy Friday night! I happily escaped staying long at the last event that we went to.


After waiting for me to slowly finish eating dinner, we bought the movie tickets. I think it took me an hour to desperately finish my food. I was thinking that going to World Chicken was a bad idea. I should've suggested we eat at Kaya or Cucina. At least I can finish the amount of serving that they give. I barely finished the pasta on my plate! Since there were still a few minutes to kill, we went to Timezone. I was delighted at the sight of the arcade games because the last time I played there was back in college days. I no longer use my Timezone card (I think I lost it already). When we tried out Daytona, I felt like a beginner once again behind the wheel. I also felt old. It's been a long time since I last played arcade Daytona. When the race began, it reminded me about scenarios in the past at work. It brought me back to some things that has brought me to mind lately. Thus, I was distracted by my thoughts. I was falling behind the race. Ed looked over me and said, "You do know that you're falling behind, right?" I just mumbled, "Yeah.." Maybe he thought that I was doing it on purpose. No, lo' I was really losing embarrassingly. After that, I tried to shake off thoughts about work and just enjoyed the night. Besides, it's not often that Ed and I get to hang out together.

As we made our way home, I looked out to the road. I thought of how simple life was when we were just a couple of high school teenagers. We both had ideals of how life should be by the time we step into college and what we should be after college. We even made a promise to ourselves never drink alcohol, and never have the habit of smoking. Graduate. Get a good job. We never thought that life could get more and more complicated as the years go by. It was like yesterday when we were hanging out at the park with the rest of our tennis friends and laughing over games of UNO. We didn't mind the sweat and the heat of the sun. We were living for the moment.
As we moved on through our separate lives, we both went through rocky situations and encountered people with their own stories to tell. Stories that gave us insight of other realities in life that are painful and inspiring. I was beginning think if we were wrong about our ideals.

I broke one promise that we made. I became a social drinker. Except beer though. I didn't like the bitter taste. Come to think of it, I never got myself drunk. I didn't like how my friends looked like when they got wasted. I hated the feeling of getting dizzy. Getting motion sickness is the only dizzy spell I can handle. I wasn't a heavy drinker. I eventually cut down on social drinking because I went on a strict diet when I got overweight. So that makes a rare doze of booze in my bloodstream. Still, I broke the promise.

Summer days were carefree days at the park grounds. Now, we have to spend summer days in tall office buildings handling pressure and stress from work. We used to dress in casual summer clothes. Now, we're both wearing office attires. We used to talk about school and what our plans are after college. Now, we talk about our experiences in the dog-eat-dog world.

We kept talking and shared some laughs though we were both tired from work. This is one of the reasons why I feel lucky to keep ties with old friends. It's refreshing everytime you get to spend time with them. We went home pretty late already but we had a really great time. I was exhausted but happy that the day went well. : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home