the journey of a purple phoenix

Sunday, January 09, 2005

I'm Getting Married...daw

I remember having a conversation with a close friend about marriage and relationships. It brought me back to the different discoveries I made in working and meeting different people in life. I've heard different stories about love, sex, and marriage. It's what I get from being exposed to older people in the work place or even hanging out with liberated people. Let's just say I get around getting along with different kinds of people. I must say all of the stories I've heard are intriguing, interesting, and, I must say, insightful. It's funny though, I don't appear like I know too much about this area. I have a friend at work who was surprised when I get to understand some green jokes and some of the "green linggos" that are used.

Anyways, we talked about the ideal age when to get married. I used to think that my ideal age to get married is at 25. When I graduated from college and started working, I realized that it's not advisable to have a deadline to get married. You might just end up with the wrong person. Dr. Clunky may be right when he said that I might not be ready for Mr. Right. I may have felt that I have found him but I know that now may not be the right time for us. (I'm not talking about the latest guy I went out with.) I told my friend that, anything's possible and that the future is uncertain.

My aunt talked to me about marriage. She said that I should help out at home first before getting married. Then she said, "Don't get into a relationship muna." Deep inside, I was like "What the hell?!" I'm 23 years old! I'm not in high school! Well, I look like it(tarush!)...but...that also means that I shouldn't get married--ever! I stopped myself from giving her a wide-eyed look. It might just make her go on and on about depressing realities about marriage. I don't think scaring me about it will prevent me from committing myself to someone. Eventhough I've had my heart broken several times, I learned that what's important is that you were able to share a part of yourself to someone and that is one of the greatest feeling you could ever have in falling in love. I know I came from a family of divorces but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't enjoy one of God's gift. Sometimes I just laugh about my mom and my aunts worrying about me getting married soon. I don't even wanna get married yet! I think about it sometimes but I'm far from even planning one. I have to look for Mr. Right first. One thing that I don't wanna happen to me is end up being an old maid.

By the way, thanks to Dr. Clunky for his comments! Finding you're comment in my blogspot was a surprise and they are indeed insightful! Yeah, I know I shouldn't get too stressed about work. I think I pressure myself too much. You're the letter of the month! Congratulations! Your comments are the longest! Remind me to treat you for a bar of chocolate for your prize! hehehe!



1 Comments:

  • Ah, marraige... A union between two people, whose separate live become one... Sounds great, doesn't it? Well, in reality, it really does. But, like anything in life, there are ups and downs and the trick is to figure out the best way to get through the tough spots and to better savor the highs.

    I won't pretend to be an expert in this arena. Yes, I am married, but we're going through a tough time right now. It's only been 4 years and already things are a bit rocky. Did I make a mistake? Did I rush in to this union? Possibly... But I can't be too certain. Since I did marry my wife, I guess it was meant to be. So, that's what keeps me above ground pushing through each passing day.

    It's not all bad, though. It's just been like that lately. I guess eventually, things should make a turn for the better. They always do. =)

    Enough about me.

    Filipinos like to meddle in other people's relationships. When you aren't married or currently dating, they will either try to convince you that's the way to go or set you up with every nerdy insurance salesman that come their way! Then, when you are married, they bug you about why you don't have a child yet. And when you do have a child, they pester you to give them a sibling! It just never ends... =(

    The only way to get through it all is smile, nod in agreement and change the subject. In the end, it's really all about what you want. No one can really tell you what's best for you. They can only give you some advice. (much like me)

    So, I agree with your not giving your aunt the "googly eyes." It would've just turned in to a never ending conversation (ie; argument).

    Dr. Clunky

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home