the journey of a purple phoenix

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Colgate

My cat died yesterday and I'm still crying about it. *Sigh* this is the second time I've cried this week. It's been years since I stopped having pets. They either died because of a sickness or escaped. I cried everytime that would happen. I stopped caring about the other ones that came after because I didn't want to get hurt. Then Colgate came along. Her color was snowy white that's why we gave her that name. She had a purple beaded collar around her neck when we found her lingering in our garage. At first, I didn't want anything to do with her. Then every night when I got home from work, she'd suddenly pop out and say, "Meoww..." like she wanted to make friends with me. It took awhile before she could snuggle up between my feet because I was distanciating myself. One morning, when I was in the kitchen, I found her curled up like a ball underneath a counter top table. Our maid has placed an old pillow where Colgate can sleep. My heart melted at the sight of this tiny creature. She woke up at my movement and quickly walked up to me and snuggled around my legs. I reached out and scratched her little head and that's when I started to love the little cat.

Every morning, I would let her in the kitchen and feed her. Sometimes, my younger brother would let her sleep in his room. Her favorite fish meal was "paksiw". Every night when I would arrive home, she'd be in my brother's room watching tv or play aournd the room. I would play with her and she would always cuddle up on my lap. I'm the only one she cuddles up with. I remember one Sunday afternoon when I let her stay in my room. I was about to sleep and she saw me lay down on the bed. She copied me and went up my bean bag and imitated me. But as she lay on her back, she still watched me. When I opened my eyes again, I found her at the foot of my bed curled up beside my leg and she was peacefully sleeping. I smiled and went back to sleep.

She's the first pet I really got involved in everything that has to do with taking care of her welfare. I did not only feed her but I also bathed her just like she was my own baby. I called her "my baby cat". I would sing to her when I let her stay in my room and whenever she's cranky when she's being bathed. I hugged her all the time. She was a very loveable cat.

It all ended yesterday. That morning, I gave her a bath and had her stay in my room. I was making a collar for her on my bed. She jumped up and was snooping around my things. I had to put her down a couple of times. But she kept jumping up. When she finally got the message that she's not supposed to snoop around, she lay on my blanket and watched me make the collar. I played with her for a while because she was fussing about the nylon strings. When she got tired, I went back to work. She just lay there and watched me. She laid her cute little head on my leg and rested her tiny paw on it. I looked at her and smiled at that simple gesture of love. She fell asleep after a while. By the time Mito had texted me that I went out with Mito and she got out of the house. I told our maid to put her back in the kitchen because I just gave her a bath. A few hours later, I received a message from my older brother saying that Colgate's dead. I quickly called up the house. Our maid was the one who answered the phone. I asked where Colgate was. She was lost for words how to tell me about the tragic accident that took place a few minutes after Mito and I left. Colgate was run over by a red car when she tried to cross the street from our garage. I cried while Mito and I were at a shoe store in Town Center. I tried hard to control my tears till I got home late that night. I haven't cried this hard about someone that was close to my heart for a long time. I still cry about her. I'm crying right now as I write about her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home